I bet you didn’t realize there were so many ways to use Essential Oils. A Mom was on a facebook group asking about scented candles which led me to this great information. You can follow my holistic health and essential oils page here.
1. For scent-sational smelling towels, sheets, clothes, etc. place a few drops of your favorite essential oil onto a small piece of terry cloth and toss into the clothes dryer while drying. Add 5 drops essential oil to 1/4 cup fabric softener or water and place in the center cut of the wash
2. Potpourri, which has lost its scent, can be revived by adding a few drops of essential oil.
3. Add a few drops of essential oil to water in a spray bottle and use as an air freshener.
4. Add a few drops of essential oil to a pan of water and simmer on stove or in potpourri pot.
5. To enjoy a scented candle, place a drop or two of oil into the hot melted wax as the candle burns.
6. To dispel household cooking odors, add a few drops of Clove oil to a simmering pan.
7. For tired, aching muscles or arthritis aches, mix 1 part Cajeput, Sage, and Basil oil to 4 parts carrier oil (Jojoba, Sweet Almond or other vegetable oils) and use as a massage oil.
8. Ease headache pain by running a drop of Rosemary/Lavender oil onto the back of your neck.
9. To blend your own massage oil, add 5 drops of your favorite essential oil to 1 oz. Jojoba or other skin nourishing vegetable oil. Don’t make too much.
10. Add 10 drops of essential oil to a box of cornstarch or baking soda, mix very well, let set for a day or two and then sprinkle over the carpets in your home. Let set for an hour or more, then vacuum.
11. To make a natural flea collar, saturate a short piece of cord or soft rope with Tea Tree oil, roll up in a handkerchief and tie loosely around the animal’s neck.
12. Smelly feet or shoes can be remedied by either dropping a few drops of Geranium essential oil directly into the shoes or by placing a cotton ball dabbed with a few drops of Lemon oil into the shoes. Athlete’s foot? Tea Tree is great!
13. Put a few drops of your favorite essential oil on a cotton ball and place it in your vacuum cleaner bag. Lemon and Pine are nice, Rose Geranium helps with doggy odor.
14. To fragrance your kitchen cabinets and drawers, place essential oils dabbed on a cotton ball in an inconspicuous corner. Try Lemon.
15. Are mice a problem? Place several drops of Peppermint oil on cotton balls and place them at problem locations.
16. The bathroom is easily scented by placing oil-scented cotton balls in inconspicuous places or sprinkle oils directly onto silk or dried flower arrangements or wreaths.
17. Apply true Lavender oil and Tea Tree oil directly to cuts, scrapes, or scratches. 1-2 drops will promote healing.
18. Homemade soaps are pleasant and offer therapeutic effects when scented with essential oils.
19. Homemade sachets are more fragrant when essential oils are blended with the flowers and herbs.
20. An essential oil dropped on a radiator, scent ring, or light bulb will not only fill the room with a fragrance, but also will set a mood such as calming, uplifting. Don’t put essential oil in socket.
21. A few drops of your favorite oil or blend in the rinse water of your hand-washables makes for pleasant results.
22. Anise oil has been used by fishermen for years. Use a drop or two on fingertips and hands before baiting up. Anise covers up the human scent that scares the fish away.
23. Essential oils or blends make wonderful perfumes. Create your own personal essence (25 drops to 1oz of cologne base). Let age two weeks before using.
24. To dispel mosquitoes and other picnic or Bar-B-Q pests, drop a few drops of Citronella oil in the melted wax of a candle or place a few drops on the Bar-B-Q hot coals.
25. One drop of Lemon essential oil applied directly to a wart is an effective means of elimination. Apply the essential oil daily until the wart is gone.
26. Rosemary promotes alertness and stimulates memory. Inhale occasionally during long car trips and while reading or studying.
27. Selling your home? Fragrance sells! Fill the kitchen area with the aroma of spices such as Clove, Cinnamon, and Vanilla. Simmer a few drops of the essential oils of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and other spices. Geranium oil sprinkled throughout the home creates a warm, cheerful, and inviting mood. Add Cinnamon oil to furniture polish and wipe down the wood.
28. Add essential oils to paper mache, the result is the creation of a lovely aromatic art piece.
29. Infuse bookmarks and stationary with essential oils. Place drops of oil on paper and put them in a plastic bag. Seal it and leave overnight to infuse the aroma. Send only good news in perfumed letters.
30. Neck pillows, padded and decorative hangers make more memorable gifts simply by putting a couple of drops of essential oil on them before giving.
31. Overindulge last night? Essential oils of Juniper, Cedarwood, Grapefruit, Lavender, Carrot, Fennel, Rosemary, and Lemon help soften the effects of a hangover. Make your own blend of these oils and use a total of 6-8 drops in a bath.
32. Essential oils of Vetiver, Cypress, Atlas Cedarwood, Frankincense, and Myrrh oil make wonderful firewood oils. Allow oil to soak in approximately 2-3 drops of oil before putting log on the fire.
33. Flies and moths dislike Lavender oil. Sprinkle it on the outside of your window frames.
34. Place 1 or 2 drops of sleep enhancing oils such as Chamomile, Lavender, Neroli, Marjoram, or Hops on your pillow before retiring for restful sleep.
35. When moving into a new home, first use a water spray containing your favorite essential oils and change the odorous environment to your own. Do this for several days until it begins to feel like your space.
36. Ideal scents for the bedroom are Roman Chamomile, Geranium, Lavender, or Lemon.
37. One drop of Lemon essential oil on a soft cloth will polish copper with gentle buffing.
38. When washing out the fridge, freezer, or oven, add 1 drop of Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, Bergamot, Mandarin, or Orange essential oil to the final rinse water.
39. For burns or scalds, drop Tea Tree oil directly on to the affected area.
40. Place 1 drop of Peppermint oil in 1/2 glass of water, sip slowly to aid digestion and relieve upset stomach.
41. Use 1 drop of Chamomile oil on a washcloth wrapped ice cube to relieve teething pain in children.
42. Six to eight drops of Eucalyptus oil in the bath cools the body in summer and protects it in winter.
43. Add 1 drop of Geranium oil to your facial moisturizer to bring out a radiant glow in your skin.
44. Place 1 or 2 drops of Rosemary on your hair brush before brushing to promote growth and thickness.
45. When the flu is going around add a few drops of Thyme to your diffuser or simmer in a pot on the stove.
46. To bring fever down, sponge the body with cool water to which 1 drop each of Eucalyptus, Peppermint, and Lavender oil have been added.
47. The blend of Lavender and Grapefruit oil is good for the office. Lavender creates a calm, tranquil atmosphere while Grapefruit stimulates the senses and clears up stale-air.
48. A blend of Geranium, Lavender and Bergamot alleviates anxiety and depression. Use in a room diffuser or use 8 drops of this blend in the bath.
49. A wonderful massage blend for babies is 1 drop Roman Chamomile, 1 drop Lavender, 1 drop Geranium, diluted in 2 tablespoons Sweet Almond oil.
50. One drop Peppermint oil diluted in 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil rubbed on the back of the neck helps relieve headaches.
Originally posted by from Scented Thymes newsletter published by Janell Squires and Jeanne Rose’s aromatherapy